Monday, August 12, 2013

1.2.3.4. Get on the dance floor...




***SPOILERS*** - Well, not really.


If you have been stressed, depressed or on an all time low for a while, then do go and watch Chennai Express. If you think senseless comedy can add a few laughs to your life, then do watch Chennai Express. If you agree that the world would be boring without stupidity, then do watch Chennai Express. Actually, just go watch Chennai Express.

The film has the famous train sequence which, as we all know, adds extra brownie points to my film likeability. I am not going to explain the train scene. I have done it twice before. You can read it here and here.

But beside that Chennai Express is a riot. Nothing to think about, no intelligence required, a full on good old Bollywood style entertainment is what it is all about.

I laughed a lot, I hooted, I jumped and whistled. I did everything I do when I enjoy a stupid film. Yes, I seriously enjoyed it.

I think Shahrukh Khan and Deepika Padukone performed with superb timing. It reminded me of the Shahrukh from Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge. I loved Deepika's possessed act.

Shahrukh comes back as Rahul again, a forty year old Rahul. Rahul who again wants to have fun and love is, well, meant to have fun. Rahul ends up falling in love with the runaway Meena, a don’s daughter who wants her married off to another beefy neighbourhood don. Ultimately Rahul, after having bashed up the beefy don and his goons, and smeared his own face with blood and mud, convinces the father don that he is the right guy for Meena.

So as you see, it is a regular bollywood plot, - in Rohit Shetty style. Rohit Shetty has made a complete family entertainer.

It will make you laugh and laugh out loud; unless you are the nose up in the air kind of a person who thinks it would challenge your existence on earth if you laugh at anything unintelligent.

Of course the film does have it annoying bits – like the dwarf who goes ‘tock tock’, like Shahrukh trying to spoof his own films with "My name is Rahul and I am not a terrorist" or "Rahul, naam toh suna nahin hoga", like Deepika going “tum kya karti”, “kidhar jaati”.

But then this is not a critic’s film after all. You really should not try to find logic in the film.

So go watch it. If you love Bollywood; you will enjoy Chennai Express.

PS: There is a tribute to Rajnikant at the end of the film for all us Rajni fans. Do not miss that.

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Hilarious stuff. Shahrukh should do more comedies. An yes his comedy did remind my of his timing in DDLJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely reviewed!!
    and yes, it is indeed a brainless entertainer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tra..la...la...la...tomorrow at PVR..at Oberoi Mall ...in Bombay...sadda Mumbai:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a convincing review, Diptee. I am not a SRK die-hard fan...but,it made 100 cr in just 3 days.....so, there should be something! I like the songs...♫ ♫ la la la...*so, am on the dance floor* ...:)
    I don't mind giving the brain a bit of rest, so am going to Fame this weekend!:D
    Thanks :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's terrible even by Rohit Shetty's standards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and happy is this review! And quite a reflection of what you think of the movie! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...